What a wonderful surprise to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by fellow food blogger Megala. Indian cuisine has a very special place in my heart as some of you probably have read, and it’s an honor to be nominated by such an avid home cook and blogger of Indian cuisine. Please check out Megala’s blog Megala’s Kitchen for her mouthwatering recipes.
What is the Liebster Award?
I had never heard of the award myself until I was nominated. The Liebster Award is an award given to bloggers by other bloggers and seems to have been around (on the Internet only) since 2011. Liebster is the German word for “the most loved.” The award works like a chain letter, so you can choose to accept the award and nominate other bloggers or decline and “break the chain,” so to speak. When you accept the nomination, it does require a certain amount of work, so it’s understandable why some people might not want to take part in it. But I’m choosing to look at it as a great way for novice or lesser-known bloggers to connect with and show support for one another and discover other blogs that are out there.
The rules of the Liebster Award
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to them.
- Write 8 fun facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers.
- Create 8 questions for your nominees.
- I have a major weakness for fries.
- I hated ketchup till I was about 16. I still don’t love it though, but it’s OK with fries.
- I still hate imitation crab meat.
- I often crave chili and cheese dogs when I’m in Thailand, but they’re so hard to find here.
- My ultimate comfort food is adobo. My mother is a Filipina, and her version is the best.
- Stilton is my favorite kind of Blue.
- I worked on an organic vegetable farm in Brittany, France, for two weeks in 2011 (WWOOF).
- I can finish a whole box of the Dutch Roka cheese crisps within a few minutes but prefer not to because they’re so good and not always easy to find.
Answers to Megala’s Questions
Why did you start blogging? The short answer to that question is it finally felt right to tell my own stories.
Who is your role model and why? I never really know how to answer this question, but in general, I like people who are kind, intelligent, unpretentious, curious, creative, brave, hardworking, and tough.
What does success mean to you? Being satisfied and stimulated by something you’re putting a lot of work and heart into; taking the right risk; making the right choice
What is your favorite movie/book? My favorite movies of all time are The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady. As for books, my recent favorites are Elena Ferrante’s Neapolitan series and Jhumpa Lahiri’s Unaccustomed Earth.
What is the most beautiful place you have visited? The calanques of Marseille and the train ride along the Côte Bleue in Provence
How frequently do you go to restaurants in a week? Mostly once or twice a week (for Bangkok, that’s not a lot, and there’s a lot of cheap food). During long holidays or when friends are in town, I go to restaurants almost every day of the week.
What is the funniest experience in your life? Whenever I sit down to watch Conan O’Brien on YouTube
What do you think is the most challenging issue currently faced by humanity?Religious and political extremism
My Nominees for the Liebster Award
La Colorada: A Kentucky Girl in Peru
Questions for My Nominees
- What are you most proud of about your blog?
- What are your goals for your blog this year?
- How did you learn to cook and/or grow your own food?
- What was the first dish you ever cooked?
- Which recipe would you like to master?
- What’s your biggest kitchen disaster so far?
- What is your ideal breakfast?
- What is your favorite restaurant in the world?